Anatoly Р. Vassilenko
Professor, Doctor of Science (Philology), Professor of the French Language Department of the Institute of Russian and Romano-Germanic Philology of the Bryansk state University named after academician I. G. Petrovsky
Bryansk State Academician I. G. Petrovski University
. This article discusses the methods in teaching monological speech in a foreign language
– the use of idioms. The use of phraseological units in speech facilitates the process of communication,
makes speech authentic and rich. In order for students to learn and use a stable expression in their
utterance in a non-native language, it is necessary to interest them, as well as teach them to recognize
phraseological units in spoken speech. Training of monological speech using phraseological units should
be carried out in three stages: the construction of one phrase, the construction from two to five phrases,
the construction from five or more phrases.
Teaching monologic speech with the use of phraseological units is a complex process. First of all,
the difficulties lie in the fact that to successfully master monological speech, students must have a
comprehensive knowledge of a foreign (or native) language: know the General grammatical rules, operate
with a modern language system, be able to use lexical means of communication, be erudite, since
monological speech implies the expression of their own point of view, argumentation, their own attitude to
Undoubtedly, the preparation of any monological utterance using phraseological structures
contributes to the development of communicative abilities. The ability to correctly compose a monologue
in one foreign language is a universal educational action, which means that the student can transfer this
skill to any other language being studied.
It is worth noting that mastering monologue speech with the use of stable turns of language is
difficult for most students, even if students successfully master other types of speech activity (for example,
writing, dialogues). The communicative orientation of foreign language teaching emphasizes the
importance of mastering the ability of monological speech using phraseological units.
phraseology, meaning, monological speech, methods of teaching a non-native language, national picture of the world.
Full text of the article (PDF)
Vassilenko, AP 2020, ‘Phraseological expressions in the development of monological speech in a non-native language’, Tula Scientific Bulletin. History. Linguistics
, issue 4 (4), pp. 56-69, URL: http://tula-vestnik.ru/pdf/2020/vipusk_4_29_12_20.pdf (in Russ.)
1. Batrakova Ya. O. Obuchenie monologicheskoj rechi na uroke inostrannogo yazyka
[Teaching monological speech in a foreign language lesson]. Modern problems of
science, technology, innovation: a collection of scientific papers based on the
materials of the International scientific and practical conference. Belgorod: Agency
for advanced scientific research, 2017. Pp. 55–57. (In Russ.)
2. Bol'shoj frazeologicheskij slovar' russkogo yazyka [Large phraseological dictionary of
the Russian language]. Editor V. N. Telia M.: AST-Press Book, 2014. 784 p. (In Russ.)
3. Volovik A. V. Kommunikativnyj podhod k obucheniyu inostrannym yazykam
[Communicative approach to teaching foreign languages]: (from experience abroad.
methods): abstract of the dis. ... candidate of pedagogical Sciences. Moscow: Mosk.
Institute of foreign.yaz. them. M. Torez. Moscow, 1988. 23 p. (In Russ.)
4. Galskova N. D. Sovremennaya metodika obucheniya inostrannym yazykam [Modern
methods of teaching foreign languages]: A guide for teachers. Moscow: ARKTI, 2003,
192 p. (In Russ.)
5. Elukhina N. V. Ustnoe obshchenie na uroke, sredstva i priemy ego organizacii [Oral
communication in the classroom, tools and techniques of its organization]. Foreign.
languages in school, 1995, no. 2, Pp. 4–7. (In Russ.)
6. Kokler Ya. M. Prakticheskaya metodika obucheniya inostrannomu yazyku [Practical
methods of teaching a foreign language]: Textbook. Moscow: publishing center
"Academy", 2000. 264 p. (In Russ.)
7. Kunin A. V. Bol'shoj anglo-russkij frazeologicheskij slovar' [Russian phraseological
dictionary]. Moscow: Russky Yazyk, 1984. 944 p. (In Russ.)
8. Leontiev A. A. Osnovy psiholingvistiki [Fundamentals of psycholinguistics]: Textbook.
for University students studying in the specialty "Psychology". M: Smysl, 2003. 285 p. (In Russ.)
9. Novyj bol'shoj francuzsko-russkij frazeologicheskij slovar' [New large FrenchRussian phraseological dictionary]. Edited by V. G. GAK. M.: Russian language, Media,
2005. 1624 p. (In Russ.)
10. Passov E. I. Osnovy kommunikativnoj metodiki obucheniya inoyazychnomu
obshcheniyu [Fundamentals of communicative methods of teaching foreign language
communication]. Moscow: Russian language, 2001, 276 p. (In Russ.)
11. Serova T. S., Shraidman T. V. Kontekstnaya i situativnaya obuslovlennost'
funkcionirovaniya frazeologizmov v monologicheskom vyskazyvanii [Contextual and
situational conditionality of phraseological units functioning in monological
utterance]. Bulletin of Perm University. Russian and foreign Philology. Perm, 2011.
No. 4. Pp. 66–72. (In Russ.)
12. Slovari i enciklopedii na Akademike [Dictionaries and encyclopedias on the Academic]
[Electronic resource]. Access mode:
D0.B8 (accessed: 24.08.2020). (In Russ.)
13. Solodukho E. M. Teoriya frazeologicheskogo sblizheniya: na materiale yazykov
slavyanskoj, romanskoj i germanskoj grupp [Theory of phraseological convergence:
on the material of the languages of the Slavic, romance and Germanic groups].
Moscow: LKI, 2008. 304 p. (In Russ.)
14. Telia V. N. O fenomene vosproizvodimosti yazykovyh vyrazhenij: YAzyk. Soznanie.
Kommunikaciya [On the phenomenon of reproducibility of language expressions:
Language. Consciousness. Communication]. Issue 30. Moscow: MAKS Press, 2005.
Pp. 4–42. (In Russ.)
15. Shibaeva I. V. Primenenie metoda proekta v razvitii monologicheskogo
vyskazyvaniya na srednem etape obucheniya francuzskomu yazyku [Application of
the project method in the development of monological utterance at the middle stage of
French language training]. Foreign philology. Social variability of language and
literature. Simferopol: publishing house "Arial", 2019. Pp. 154–159. (In Russ.)
16. Cambridge Dictionary. [Electronic resource]. Access mode:
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/ (accessed: 24.08.2020).
17. Dictionnaire français-russe des idioms. [Electronic resource]. Access mode: