Anatoly V. Zhukov
Professor, Honored Worker of the Higher School of the Russian Federation, Doctor of Science (Philology), Professor of the Department of
Literature and Russian Language, Pushkin Leningrad State University
Pushkin Leningrad State University
. The article covers in general terms one of the relevant aspects of the modern semasiology
– the semantic variation of phraseological units in the space of a synonymic series: subject-conceptual,
grammatical, connotative, expressive-stylistic, etc. The corresponding structural connections against
the background of systemic language relations in general (paradigmatic, syntagmatic, epidigmatic and
textual) determine the total value of the language sign.
The author distinguishes between the concepts of the plan of the content of phraseology and the
phraseological meaning. The plan of the content of phraseology is a broader concept, the scope of which, along with the phraseological meaning, includes some additional characteristics. Phraseological meaning is the content core of the phraseological unit and consists of the subject (denotative), conceptual
(significative), and grammatical (categorical) elements.
Connotation constitutes the closest to the core periphery of the phraseological meaning, which includes figurative component and motivation, as a rule, supplemented by evaluative and emotionally expressive meaning.
The third aspect of the phraseological content plan is determined by the paradigmatic, syntagmatic,
and epidigmatic relations (for example, the activity of formation of the phraseological form, word formation and phrase formation), as well as the "fourth dimension" – the relations of phraseological units
in the text.
The Dictionary of Phraseological Synonyms of the Russian Language demonstrates the concept of
the value (significance) of the phraseological sign, which is not a purely formal value, but depends primarily on the meaning and only secondarily on the system. Thus, the value acts as a system-forming
property, and the significance – as a system-acquired property.
phraseology, phraseological and lexical synonyms, content plan and expression plan, phraseological meaning, connotation, language system, value.
Full text of the article (PDF)
Zhukov, AV 2021, ‘Phraseological synonymy and the value of a language sign’, Tula Scientific Bulletin. History. Linguistics
, issue 1 (5), pp. 91–97, https://doi.org/10.22405/27128407_2021_1_91. (in Russ.)
1. Bondarenko V. T. Var'irovaniye ustoychivykh fraz v russkoy rechi : ucheb. posobiye
po spetskursu [Variation of set phrases in Russian speech: textbook special course
manual]. Tula: Izd-vo TGPU im. L. N. Tolstogo Publ., 1995. 151 p. (In Russ.)
2. Bondarenko V. T. Otvetnyye repliki v russkoy dialogicheskoy rechi : slovar' [Response
Remarks in Russian Dialogic Speech: Dictionary]. Tula: Izd-vo TGPU im. L. N. Tolstogo Publ., 2011. 339 p. (In Russ.)
3. Bondarenko V. T. Ustoychivyye frazy v russkoy rechi: Monografiya. [Set Phrases in
Russian Speech: Monograph]. Tula: Izd-vo TGPU im. L. N. Tolstogo, 2011. 154 p. (In Russ.)
4. Vinogradov V. V. Russkiy yazyk (grammaticheskoye ucheniye o slove) [The Russian
Language (Grammatical Theory of Words)]. Moscow. Leningrad: Uchpedgiz Publ.,
1947. 784 p. (In Russ.)
5. Zhukov A. V. Aspekty semanticheskogo var'irovaniya yazykovykh yedinits [Aspects of
semantic variation of linguistic units]. Literaturnaya i dialektnaya frazeologiya: istoriya i razvitiye. Pyatyye Zhukovskiye chteniya: k 90-letiyu so dnya rozhdeniya
Vlasa Platonovicha Zhukova. T. 1: materialy Mezhdunar. nauch. simpoziuma, 4-6
maya 2011 goda [Literary and dialect phraseology: history and development. Fifth
Zhukov Readings: on the occasion of the 90th anniversary of the birth of Vlas Platonovich Zhukov. Vol. 1: materials of the Intern. Scientific. Symposium, May 4-6,
2011]. Velikiy Novgorod: 2011. Pp. 4‒12. (In Russ.)
6. Zhukov A. V. Plan soderzhaniya frazeologizma i frazeologicheskoye znacheniye [Content plan of phraseological unit and phraseological meaning]. Pushkinskiye chteniya -
2019. Khudozhestvennyye strategii klassicheskoy i novoy slovesnosti: zhanr, avtor,
tekst : materialy XXIV mezhdunarodnoy nauchnoy konferentsii [Pushkin Readings -
2019. Artistic Strategies of Classical and New Literature: Genre, Author, Text: Materials of the XXIV International Scientific Conference]. St. Petersburg: LGU im. A.S.
Pushkina Publ., 2019. Pp. 285‒288. (In Russ.)
7. Zhukov V. P. Frazeologicheskaya sinonimiya i slovar' frazeologicheskikh sinonimov
[Phraseological synonymy and the dictionary of Phraseological synonyms]. Slovar'
frazeologicheskikh sinonimov russkogo yazyka [The Dictionary of phraseological
synonyms of the Russian language] ed. by V. P. Zhukov. Moscow: Russkiy yazyk Publ.,
1987. Pp. 3‒18. (In Russ.)
8. Zhukov V. P., Sidorenko M. I., Shklyarov V. T. Slovar' frazeologicheskikh sinonimov
russkogo yazyka [The dictionary of phraseological synonyms of the Russian language] ed. by V. P. Zhukov. Moscow: Russkiy yazyk Publ., 1987. 440 p. (In Russ.)
9. Solntsev V. M. Yazyk kak sistemno-strukturnoye obrazovaniye. 2-ye izd., dop. [Language: a System and a Structure. 2nd ed., aug.]. Moscow: Nauka Publ., 1977. 342 p. (In Russ.)
10. Ferdinand de Saussure Kurs obshchey lingvistiki, izdannyy SH. Bal'i i A. Seshee pri
uchastii A. Ridlinger [Course in General Linguistics edited by Charles Bally and Albert Sechehaye, in collaboration with Albert Riedlinger]. Moscow: Sotsekgiz Publ.,
1933. 272 p. (In Russ.)